It is a fundamental piece of electricity in all homes since the electrical panel of a house is the device in which the cables that are inside the home are located. It is also the device that helps keep the electrical system in order and is responsible for protecting expensive household appliances and devices such as televisions, computers, video game consoles, which are kept at home. It not only works to protect appliances but also us and our families from potential power surges and incidents that may occur with electricity.
It is important to know the parts that make up a traditional electrical panel, like the one we can find in a home.
Parts of an electrical panel:
- THE ICP: The power control switch is responsible for cutting off the supply of energy inputs. For any reason, the power sent by the contracted company is exceeded; it will be in charge of controlling it. This must be installed by a licensed and trained electrician, as the power company may penalize it.
- The IGA: It is the automatic general switch that generates a mechanism that helps us control electrical installations. The ICP must be disconnected when it reaches the maximum power, but the IGA disconnects only when the power is greater than the allowed one, so in this way, overloads and short circuits will be avoided.
- The PCS: The surge protector switch is a current mechanism that prevents electrical appliances from being damaged by electrical surges. It is considered a useful element in the electrical panel since nowadays, the devices have very high costs, and having to replace them can generate great expenses.
- THE ID: It is known as a differential switch, and it is a common element in the installation, whether modern or old. It disconnects quickly when an earth leakage occurs due to an electrical appliance or a bad installation. Disconnecting prevents people from suffering an electric shock, so it must work properly since it can avoid a scare.
- PIAS: They are small automatic switches, they are colloquially known as magnetos, and they are switches that control interior circuits in houses, control plugs, lighting, heating …, everything that is connected to electricity. Like the others, its function is to protect us from overloads and short circuits.
These are the parts that we must know and take care of in an electrical panel since it is extremely important to make good use of the installation; it helps us to protect our day today. It is best not to manipulate the panel without the presence of a specialized electrician.
What should you do if you skip the differential electrical box?
The first thing is to go to the electrical panel and look for the differential. It is usually in the shape of a T or a different color from all the others.
Once the differential is located, we proceed to lower it; then, we lower the other parts for short-circuit protection.
Then you will have to raise the differential individually. If you press the button and it pops up again, that’s fine, but the fault could be in the fuses if it doesn’t.
After checking this, you will have to raise the differential again and test one by one, the circuit breakers, that is, the rest of the parts that make up the electrical panel. The one that makes the differential jump is the one that is damaged.
This regularly occurs due to a plug or appliance in poor condition, so it will be necessary to eliminate the differential to jump.
If, after this brief explanation, you still have the same problem, we recommend that you contact an electrician who specializes in the matter. He will know which of the electrical panel parts is the one that is failing and will solve it in a few minutes. The safest thing is that the electrical panel jumps because you need an increase in power.